What is Barcode and QR code? Explained in Detail
These images with lines and squares called Barcode or QR code are found on everything from cereal boxes to serial killers that store pieces of information in sequences of lines that can be read and interpreted by machines.
Ok friends, I m gonna cover all these topics in this article so that you will be aware while accessing these images
Now barcodes became the most efficient way to quickly read a string of alphanumeric characters but while all barcodes look pretty similar to the naked eye and share common features like a start and end code so they can be read correctly regardless of orientation There are a variety of different standards with different characteristics with UPC being the most common that encode data in different fashions and can only be read by compatible scanners and software.
With the same concept, QR codes were invented in 1994 by Denso Wavenow QR(Quick Response) codes are being utilized to keep more information in a squared image. A barcode only keeps information in a horizontal direction, whereas a QR code can keep information in both horizontal and vertical directions or it is a 2D format. Because of this, a QR code keeps hundreds of times more information than one barcode.
HOW THESE CODES WORKS?
Both Barcodes and QR codes work on the same principle i.e, absorption of rays. When bright rays are allowed to fall on these codes, black dots or lines absorb the rays whereas white or empty space reflect rays back to the receiver. According to this interpretation is made and information is decrypted. Barcodes need a special machine to scan them
But QR code being 2D it stores more information than barcodes. So QR codes use a higher-level technique to decrypt the data.
As I said QR code is 2-dimensional codes in which black blocks contain data in encrypted form. These black blocks are encoded with URL, Phone number, SMS, email message, PDF, etc.
Normal barcodes contain rectangular strips and lines which are of different width and contains data that is interpreted by the software by scanning the bar code.
Similarly, in the QR code of each block contains data, after scanning the code, the location of blocks is interpreted by the software and a combination of data of these blocks merge together to form a specific URL, Phone numbers, etc.
As you can see the image shown above that the patterns which are known as alignment, These are used to assist in the navigation of larger codes while timing patterns determine the size of modules.
Also Read: Cool Gadgets For Students 2020
HOW THESE CODES ARE SCANNED AND ACCESSED?
Basically, these can be scanned by QR code Reader and by Mobile phone with the help of apps. Some smartphones come with the pre-installed QR code reader.
Now how to scan QR codes?
Simply follow these steps-
- Open the downloaded or pre-installed QR code reader app.
- Then you will see your back camera on which a square is displayed.
- Now you just need to place that square on your QR code then you will automatically visit that site.
After attempting these methods, if still the task is not completed then there may be an error in that code
Barcodes scanners are nothing but a source of red light. They glow red LED light on black and white barcode patterns and then read the patterns of light which are reflected back to a string of light-sensitive CCD or photo-electrochemical cells. As the light passes through the barcode it generates on-off pulses that correspond to black and white backgrounds. Barcodes have a sequence of black and white strips and when light
moves past these black-white bars from left to right, it will read it as on-off-on-off-on-on-and so on until the stopping code comes. After that, an electronic circuit attached to the scanner converts these on-off to binary digits 1-0-1-0-1 and then the computer detects these binary digits.
Different types of barcode scanners are available for various purposes but generally, oversized razors type scanners dominant in the market.
Now it is also possible to scan these barcodes using smartphone apps.
Also Read: Best Ways To Make Money For Students
HOW THESE CODES ARE GENERATED?
Normally barcodes are used on grocery stores, clothes, eatables, pharmacy products, electric bills so that barcodes can be scanned to keep all the necessary documents. They are not created for personal use, whereas QR codes can be utilized for both commercial and individual purposes. We can make our own QR code and keep the necessary data and information embedded in it. We can use the QR code to store visiting cards, websites, PhonePe and Paytm Numbers so that transitions can be made easily by just scanning, Store emails, Photos And all those details which we do manually by typing.
Barcodes have 95 white and black strips
Numbers are assigned according to its importance and use-
- The number written on the right-hand side of the center bar represents materials of the product like whether it is made up of plastic or natural things, vegetarian or non-vegetarian.
- The number written on the left-hand side of the center bar indicates the item number or product code
- The number present near the left bar i.e, the first 2-3 number from the left (“0”, “5” and”1″) shows the country code where the product is manufactured
- The last digit of the right side(here “7” )is the check digit which ensures that whether the given information has been properly scanned by the barcode reader or not
Barcodes are actually designed by the GS1 company.GS1 is a not-for-profit organization that develops and maintains global standards for business communication and manufacturers barcodes for its clients for their products and assign the information according to the need of the various companies and follows the basic rule and regulations. In order to create a barcode, you have to visit the Official website of GS1-https://www.gs1.org/ and register with all the required particulars. This company offers various types and forms of barcodes and obtains a decent revenue by managing each and every barcode globally.
In the case of the QR code, you can generate it by yourself using an appropriate app or software. Any individual can generate the QR code by storing the appropriate information in it. You can add a webpage, video, photos, your Facebook profile, App page on App Stores, Bitcoin address, or simple text amongst various options. Simply add the required data or content and the QR generator will take care of the rest. Once the QR Code is generated, you just download the image and put it up wherever you want your audience to scan it. You can design the QR code as per your needs and wish. You can change the color, style, secure it with a password and you can change the content at any time. A QR code is very simple and stores more content and information than older barcodes.
USES OF BARCODE
Barcodes have become successful in recent years they help in automate supermarket check out systems. Uses of these codes are almost universal as you might be observed that in malls, stores, etc. barcodes are used. These codes are adopted by different malls and stores throughout the world.
- Barcodes are very useful as they reduce shoplifting (An unnoticed theft of goods from the retail shop by putting items inside your pocket or bag) and price tag swapping.
- Used to keep track of objects, persons, air luggage, rental cars, parcels, etc.
- Used on tickets of cinema, Sports arenas, theaters to identify duplicate or fake tickets easily.
- Used in hospitals and healthcare centers to know the person’s identification including medical history by giving them a wrist band on which barcodes are attached.
- Used on the products so that a person can gain more information about that product by simply scanning the QR code.
- Used to store personal information for use by the organization.
- Used for storing URLs, Phone Numbers, bank details, etc.
- The QR code may also be linked to a location to track where and which QR code has been scanned.
- The QR code is also used as currency. In June 2011 Royal Dutch Mint introduced the first official QR code coin in the world.